Saturday, June 23, 2018

Hippos On Holiday - Hello Bluebird Stamps

Hello Friends!

Initially I wasn't going to blog about this card, especially as I was in such a creative flow this week (it's been very productive) but I got some enquiries on Instagram about it so I thought I'd share here a little more detail including products and colours used.



I think the impact of this card is in the colour combination, the rest is just scene building and layering.  So I took a panel of A2 Bristol Smooth cardstock (I favour Strathmore).  I ink blended it with Distress Oxide Ink in Spiced Marmalade and splashed it with water and blotted it dry a few seconds later.   I die cut the panel with the stitched edge and applied it to the card base.  With another panel of Bristol Smooth I die cut it to match the stitched edge and then die cut 3 'waves' from Avery Elle.  I casually ink blended these from dark to light using Distress Oxide in Peacock Feathers and splashed them up with some paint splashes using  Peacock Feathers mixed with a little water.  Once dry I dotted in some Uniball Signo White gel pen.



I adhered my 3 wave die cuts to the card panel making sure to keep the tops of the waves glue free in order to tuck my hippos in later.  I took yet more Bristol Smooth cardstock and stamped up my images using Ranger Archival Ink in Jet Black.  I watercolour painted them using my Kuretake Zigs.  The hippos and the gray points on the seagulls are done using Blue Gray 092.  Blushing cheeks and the pink on the beach balls courtesy of Light Pink 026.  The remaining 3 colours used are Yellow 050, Orange 070 and Light Blue 036.



I die cut all the characters etc and decided upon my layout and adhered everything with Scotch Foam Tape for dimension.  I selected my sentiment, stamped it with Archival Ink on to a little piece of scrap cardstock and once dry I took a blending tool with a little of the Spiced Marmalade Distress Oxide Ink on it and coloured it up so that it blended into the 'sky'.  The sentiment strip was applied with foam tape.

To add sequins or not to add sequins THAT is the question?!  I decided not to but instead I grabbed a bottle of Stickles in 'Crystal' which reflects blues and greens and I did tiny dots of it throughout the water and into the whiter part of the 'sky'.  Doesn't photograph but it does give a sweet twinkle when the card is handled and it catches the light.

Another card complete!

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you next time!

Nicky x

No comments:

Post a Comment