Saturday, April 7, 2018

What DO Bears Do In The Woods?

Hi, I'm back again with a fairly involved birthday card using entirely Mama Elephant stamps and dies (with the exception of the sequins by Pretty Pink Posh).  This card answers the age old question about what bears get up to in the woods ...... well, they party!!!!!  I don't know what you all are thinking!!!


I'm such a fan of the Hillside Cover Die from Mama Elephant since you can use it to form so many fun backgrounds.  When I purchased it I had this basic design in my head, whereby I'd cut out portions with my craft knife and form a forest scene.  First of all I made two A2 panels of Strathmore Bristol Smooth cardstock.  The first was softly ink blended using distress inks to form ground and sky.  The second was ink blended in an ombré of green distress ink around the frame portion.   Then I watercolour painted the trunks of the trees and distressed everything with some water splashes that I left a minute then blotted dry with a paper towel.


For the bushy tree tops I made 3 die cuts of the smaller cloud die from Cloud Nine by Mama Elephant.  I ombré ink blended each piece then distressed it and attached them to the Hillside Cover die cut with Ranger Multi Medium Matte, layering one over the other and then I trimmed the top and side edges to align with the A2 form.  This whole piece was then attached to the background panel lifted up on Scotch dimensional foam tape.  Everything was then adhered to the 110lb Neenah cardstock base.


Next I tackled the family of bears which were stamped with Ranger Archival Black Ink then watercolour painted using my Zigs.  They were die cut and highlighted with Uniball Signo White and 3 bears were each given a party hat which I snipped off one of the little chick stamps from Party Pals (Mama Elephant).  (No animals were harmed in the making of this card).


At this point I stamped the sentiment and attached it with foam tape and then I love to add those final little touches that just elevate a card and take it to the next level.  With this card I attached a few crystal clear sequins as I previously mentioned but I also used a silver gel pen and added some tiny dots of glint into the background.

This is my favourite type of card to make, I love them to look like they were taken from a favourite children's storybook .  I do hope you like it and are inspired to go and create for yourself.  Enjoy your weekend.

Nicky x

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see you blog about the beautiful cards you make. Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Poorva, thank you so much! Mostly I hope to help fellow card makers reach their potential with this blog, but it is wonderful that I can also show my loyal customers the sort of effort and love I pour into my cards!

      Delete